Re: Lenny (Debian 5.0) approaching end of life

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 19:33:42 -0500, Tony Baldwin wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 04:36:49PM +0100, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > Why can't you use squeeze?
>> > --
>> > Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
>>
>> Indeed, I do can, but I prefer to accomodate the span-life of the next
>> installation round to match the longest support cycle possible with the
>> less disturbances for me (admin) and my users :-)
>>

> disturbances?
> Have you upgraded a Debian from old->new stable before?

(...)

Nope, never ever. In Spanish I would say "jamás de los jamases" :-)

In do run in place upgrades on my testing computers that now runs on a
perpetual Debian "testing" but on production systems I would never do a
distribution upgrade and not because is not going to work (I know Debian
has one of the best in site upgrades available in linux with the plus of
release notes which help a lot to minimize the risks) but I'm a very
conservative sysadmin and one of my mottos is "always keep a running
system" so overwriting something that is working is something that the
mere thought gives me gooseflesh.

Of course, I can do this way because I don't have thousand machines to
administer not have to remotely access to them, in such case I would
reconsider the in place upgrade path :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón