Re: radeonhd removed from Testing ... in February, still gone?

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 18:41:26 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 05:00:22PM +0000, Camale?n wrote:
>
>> I don't think the current experience with VGA cards is "bad" but
>> "annoying". But how can you|we enhance it from Debian's side? Debian
>> can't include closed source drivers nor blob by default (the same goes
>> for wireless cards that need proprietary drivers...), and that's why
>> most of Debian users do love the distribution. I think there are
>> another debianized distros (Ubuntu, Mint?) oriented to average users
>> that do provide (or at least facilitate) the installation for such
>> closed source drivers.
>
> Sorry, I seem to be expressing myself unclearly.
>
> If one chooses to install the non-free blob and/or driver, it should be
> a transparent process, not this bizarre "you just have to know to run
> this modprobe command" system.

Ah, well... that depends on the install stage you are:

- If you wanted to install the closed source ATI driver at install time
(in the event this is possible which I doubt it), there should no
problems at all because no X server is started and no X driver is already
loaded.

- If you plan to install the "fglrx" package from Debian's non-free
repositories while "radeon" module is already loaded (in use), they will
collide and manual action is required from the user:

http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#Installation

But this is more a technical issue, no more no less and now that we have
KMS at the kernel side is even more complicated (I don't remember to have
done nothing special in lenny when I installed the closed source nvidia
drivers coming from Debian non-free, just restarted the computer to make
Xorg happy and that was all).

> And answering text I removed: no, the script did not tell me anything.

Mmm, because you probably installed the open source "radeon" driver,
which will automatically perform the required actions in the evnt you had
another vga driver installed (radeonhd). It won't, however, automatically
install the proprietary firmware (firmware-linux-nonfree), even if it is
required to enable 3D acceleration.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón