Re: Emacs ignoring my settings in ~/.emacs after Debian SID Upgraded

Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:

> The window geometry is usually not stored in the .emacs file (that
> would be a bad idea because the window appears before this file is
> read). It is configured via the X resources. As XDM and GDM do not
> read the same X init files, here's the potential problem.

In my experience, if you set the geometry in the initial-frame-alist
the intitial window resizes to that setting.

This takes a bit of doing.

I have a helper function:

;;; useful function for modifying alists like default-frame-alist
(defun modify-alist (alist changes)
  "In ALIST, modify or add entries in changes, returning new alist"
  (let (next)
    (while changes
      (setq next (car changes) changes (cdr changes))
      (setq alist (append (delq (assoc (car next) alist) alist) (list next))))
    alist))

and then do things like:

    	(setq default-frame-alist
	      (modify-alist default-frame-alist
			    '((height . 44) (width . 81)
			      (left . 510)(top . 30)
			      (mouse-color . "white")))
	      initial-frame-alist
	      (modify-alist initial-frame-alist
			    '((left . 0)(top . 0))
			    )))

to get my configuration as I like it.

I actually test for which window system and how I got started and have
different versions.