Re: regarding e2fsprogs 1.42

On 03/01/12 07:12, Jochen Spieker wrote:
> Camaleón:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:27:50 +0100, Joar Jegleim wrote:
>>
>>> anybody got any foo on how to install e2fsprogs from wheezy into squeeze
>>> ?
>>> […]
>>> Has anybody tried this, or got any hints ?
>>
>> No hints, sorry. Sounds like a dangerous movement only suitable for a VM
>> (with a previous saved working snapshot) or over a testing machine.
>
> ACK. Another option might be to debootstrap wheezy into a local
> directory and chroot into that. You probably don't need
> mkfs/fsck/tune2fs on a daily basis. Just disable automatic fscks on boot
> (tune2fs -i0 -c0) to make sure the old fsck doesn't touch the
> filesystem.
>
> I am not sure whether that would work for the root filesystem, but I
> guess nobody needs or wants 16TB for that.
>
> And if this was a critical system, I would probably try very hard to
> avoid the situation altogether (split the data across multiple
> filesystems) or use another distribution with more recent tools.
>
> J.

Thank you Jochen for putting me on the right track.
The auto fsck/root problem (if ever encountered) could be got around by
using the Wheezy live CD/USB[*1] which is the path I chose thanks to
your chroot tip.
I had tried to backport from Wheezy but it became to complicated and
would probably have broken Squeeze updates.

Cheers

P.S. special thanks to Theo for another year of amazing output.

[*1] a grub entry can be added for convenience, or run in a chroot (as
you suggested)