Re (2): ~/.profile

From:	Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz>
Date:	Mon, 02 Jan 2012 11:38:54 +1300
> The shell you run interactively (specified per-user in /etc/passwd) is
> usually bash, because it's more friendly for interactive use. Dash is
> smaller and lighter, and chosen presumably for that reason to run most
> of the system scripts, which use /bin/sh explicitly.

Thanks for explaining.

Another puzzle.  I have two Squeeze systems which are almost identical.
In both, my entry in /etc/passwd is the same and I added this line at
the end of ~/.profile.

export EDITOR=vi

On one system "echo $EDITOR" confirms the setting.  On the other system
the setting is absent.  Where should I look to understand this?

Thanks,                  ... Peter

--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Former telephone 1 360 450 2132.
bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca