Re: ~/.profile

On 02/01/12 10:30, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

>> ... executed with /bin/sh which is not bash by default.
>
> Understood; but why does the installer put these and no .dashrc?

The shell you run interactively (specified per-user in /etc/passwd) is
usually bash, because it's more friendly for interactive use. Dash is
smaller and lighter, and chosen presumably for that reason to run most
of the system scripts, which use /bin/sh explicitly.

/bin/sh used to be bash - Ubuntu switched first, I think - leading to
all sorts of interesting bugs with bash-specific features in scripts ...

Richard