Re: obsidianmusic alternative? (music library with streaming or download from webserver)

On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 21:48 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
[...]
> > I had a look at this yesterday, you can combine the mpd package with
> > the
> > fookebox package, that last one is a web interface for mpd.
>
> Sounds interesting, maybe I'll try to take some time to test it,
> between my personal projects... but to install an apache server for a
> jukebox destined to be used by a single user is a bit "exaggerated" :D
> (not sure of the word)

That would depend on the usage, consider this:
- find an old jukebox
- strip the old (defective?) hardware
- insert cheap modern computer hardware
- include touchscreen for song selection

I'm seriously considering something like that. The web interface would
be ideal for parties were people can compose their own playlists, which
are then mixed with other peoples playlists. This way people can add
songs using a laptop or smartphone. I still need to work out some
details, but it seems like a good idea to me. In this case mpd would
shine.

> > It seems a bit clunky and error prone to replace the function a bunch
> > of
> > php files...
>
> I have no real knowledge in php stuff,

It has been a couple of years since I really did some PHP, but I'll
manage :)

> I'm an humble outdated
> fat-client-like software makern, who cares a lot about memory problems
> and heavily uses OOP and RAII :) (terms outdated is a joke, it is just
> because I feel like everyone thinks that HTML5+JS can replace everything
> around.
> The problem is that it makes harder to find jobs for me, but

That would really depend on the job, I know a little bit of javascript,
no HTML5 whatsoever. Then again, I'm a systems and Java guy.

> honestly, I think that'll stop when people will notice the overhead on
> computers and networks that way is creating... Nowadays, there are so
> many people which thinks using an application which have nothing related
> to databases on a dedicated server is smart and fashion... sounds like
> minitel is coming back for me -I had fun with it when a child but I
> prefer the actual computer+Internet - .)
> One thing I know which will be permanent for me, it that I will never
> understand how my predecessors made stuff complex like windows 3.1,
> first mspaint, first desktop office, able to run on computers with so
> poor performances (big respect) and how my generation is able to write
> pacmans without new features able to kill modern CPUs (shame).
> I'm really outdated after all :D

Personally I think it's partly because of the poor quality of code some
people write. I've seen some hopelessly ineffective code that could be
both easier to understand, shorter and execute faster (a lot).
Like replacing a all instances of a character with another one in a Java
String, using recursion (1 char replaced each call). It was dead slow
and gave out of memory errors (Java strings are immutable, so you keep
the whole string several times during the whole recursion thing).
A simple String.replaceAll() was all that was needed.

> > Yes, and therefore I don't think it is a good solution for my
> > particular
> > use case.
>
> I agree. Sounds like I failed to promote mpd :D but I did not correctly
> understood your needs at start.

No, you succeeded in promoting mpd, just not for this use case ;) see
the jukebox thing above.

[...]
> I try to avoid to have Qt+GKT+Gnome+KDE libraries on my system (well, I
> am using mostly GTK softwares, I was simply meaning that I am trying to
> avoid to cumulate libs doing the same thing), and that way of doing
> things just makes me thinking of a  UNIX way to build interactive
> softwares: one soft does one thing, but does it correctly.

If you're talking about servers, I couldn't agree more. But for
desktops, I'm a bit more relaxed. Still I prefer good software that does
one thing only, and does it good/correct over software that does 101
things badly, so long as both work of course. No matter how good the
software is, if it doesn't fit the use case, it's useless.

> mpd just lacks the support of wma, sadly. I still need to find a way to
> convert those files...

What about oggconvert? It's a gui to convert various media files to ogg.
It certainly works with wma files and relies (I think) on gstreamer.

> And, I could bet that the heavier part of VLC is the GUI.

Possibly, I always found it to be more lightweight on windows than
installing some random codec pack from a creepy website. I just use it
on Linux because of the history I have with it on windows, never let me
down. It is certainly possible to run it without a GUI, see the package
vlc-nox.

> About Debian's repo... they are nice when you are discovering the OS, but for
> me, for few softwares you'll want recent versions, and it happens that
> softwares maintain their own repo (like codeblocks and opera) and their
> general ease of use is a part of the reasons why I like Debian. Being
> free to easily use any up-to-date software I need recent is exactly what
> I need, and what Debian is providing.

I use a bit of both, I run testing so I'm not that far behind on
versions, a rare package is installed from testing, some from third
party sites, but not much.

[...]
> software, so I am trying to avoid java as best as I can, but that's
> simply personal tastes. I'm a lightweight systems' lover :D
> I know virtual machines are useful, but the idea behind xVM (where x
> might be Java or .NET or PowerBuilder or whatever) is just a wrong idea
> for performances.

To give Java some credit, performance is actually quite good if the
developer of the application knows what he's doing. Due to JIT (just in
time) compiling within the JVM you run code like you would with compiled
C-code. And there are other optimizations, some java code will actually
run faster than the equivalent in C or C++, but to be honest that
depends entirely on the compiler.

> But I do not care if it is my job to write some
> against money. Personal taste...
>
> > Again, thanks for letting me meet mpd.
>
> For nothing. Not sure you will find a use for it thought :)

Already have, see jukebox ;)

Regards,
Steven