Re: obsidianmusic alternative? (music library with streaming or download from webserver)

On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 03:44 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> > Thanks for your suggestion, I'm not sure mpd does what I'm looking
> > for
> > but it seems great for use in another project (some jukebox thing I'm
> > wanting to have a go at). I will look further into it.
> Yes, it's great for jukeboxes, but not only :)
>
> And you know what? I'll try to show you that I'm right and you're wrong

I never said you were wrong, I said I wasn't sure ;)

> (and simply said that to avoid you to say I'm right without argumenting
> hehehe)

It would be a little pointless without an argument, at least now I can
learn something.

> > Allow me to explain in more detail what obsidianmusic actually is,
> > and
> > does.
> > Obsidianmusic does not play music in itself, it is actually a buch of
> > php webpages that connect to an Amarok music database. This gives you
> > nice view of your library within a web browser, and allows you to
> > download or listen (depends on configuration, not both) to your
> > music.
>
> mpd is the music player, but I was speaking about mpd as your current
> amarok: as a server.

Amarok is only used to build the database, because it's the same format
obsidianmusic uses (by design). I don't use it to actually play music, I
don't even run KDE for that matter.

> Clients are, as I said, very varied, because mpd is quite popular.
> Well, to be exact, I have never heard about other music player daemon.
> That's rare enough for linux world to be quoted, underlined, and
> whatever you will want : even window managers are legion for each ways
> of doing things (conf via prog language, tiling, stacking.... a legion
> for all possibilities)
>
> > This actually creates a .m3u file
>
> So, is the objective to build a simple m3u file?
> If no, please explain me more....

No, the m3u file is just a convenient way to start listening, as that is
what the webinterface creates, the actual link inside the m3u looks like
this:
http://hostname/path-to-obsidianmusic/index.php?action=stream&sid=22558
where the 'sid' number is the database ID of that particular song.

> If yes, so I want to say a few things:
>
> 1. you do not need a music player to build m3u files, they are simple
> text files with paths in them
> (hummm.... I want to say that they are
> usual linux configuration files but you might be feared).

Don't worry, I'm not afraid of the command line, I administer a couple
of headless Linux servers as part of my job.

> You could
> write some scripts usable with ssh. Not very user friendly...

Exactly, and the point is that anyone (that I allow) should be able to
access the music library and play songs from it on their own machine
without the need to install anything.
That is why obsidianmusic fits that job very well, only things needed
are:
1) the audio files (which I upload using scp)
2) a webserver (I use Apache)
3) php
4) mysql

Additionally there needs to be a single Amarok instance somewhere to
update the library, but that one runs on a virtual machine on my own
desktop, not the server.

Clients only need a web browser and a media player that supports m3u
playlists and http streaming. I don't even know of any audio player not
capable of those.

> 2. mpd is able to build playlists (which usually are using m3u as
> extension) but it sounds obvious to me that it generates m3u with
> aboslute filenames: you will not have music embedded here. You will need
> to have music at same place!

That would mean that only the server could actually play the music, and
then possibly stream it to one or more clients. It sounds like that will
not meet my requirements. It's just designed with a different goal in
mind (and that's fine). However I'll set up mpd in a virtual machine and
fool around with it.

[...]

At this point I'm considering a fork of the obsidianmusic project where
I try to fix the shortcomings and bugs that I encounter.

Regards,
Steven