Re: unexpected script output

Le 20.12.2012 01:32, Bob Proulx a écrit :
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Bob Proulx a écrit :
>Don't change the symlink.  Change the #! line to #!/bin/bash.  That
>is the correct way to use bash specific features. Then it will work >on the next system that you run it on. If you change the symlink on

The immediate problem to change the symlink to bash instead of dash
is that it will slow down his system boot sequence, ...

I sometimes hear this but I disagree that boot speed causes this to be an immediate problem. Even on laptops the system is very stable. How
often do people reboot?  I do so only very seldom.  Definitely for
kernel security upgrades and so do reboot a handful of times a year.
My view is, "So it might take another few seconds ever other month."

That's your use.
My uses are plenty of shutdown. For my eeepc, it is possible that I shut it down from 1 to 4 times per day, and for my desktop, it entirely depends on what I am doing. And that is because they are not old computers. I have a dinosaur which takes ages, hibernate or not, and seeing how the hardware is old, I prefer the regular checks made on disk by boot process. I do not need computer as fast as light, but I'm pleased hen things does not takes ages while keeping some security checks.

That's because I kept the use of shutdown instead of hibernate, except if I have something I want to keep alive from a session to another.

But, of course, if boot speed is not an issue for you, you are free to make it slower :) Every user have his own requirement for a computer, especially for people using a linux distribution I think.