Re: unexpected script output

berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Bob Proulx a écrit :
> >Don't change the symlink.  Change the #! line to #!/bin/bash.  That
> >is the correct way to use bash specific features.  Then it will work
> >on the next system that you run it on.  If you change the symlink on
>
> The immediate problem to change the symlink to bash instead of dash
> is that it will slow down his system boot sequence, ...

I sometimes hear this but I disagree that boot speed causes this to be
an immediate problem.  Even on laptops the system is very stable.  How
often do people reboot?  I do so only very seldom.  Definitely for
kernel security upgrades and so do reboot a handful of times a year.
My view is, "So it might take another few seconds ever other month."

Of course for anyone who has booted a RHEL/CentOS system (just to pick
a concrete example) they will be shocked to see how long it takes it
to boot up or shutdown there.  So I do appreciate the reboot speedups
on Debian.  But I don't think it should be taken to extremes.

Bob