Re: "restructuring" the hard drive

On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 19:52 +0100, Gergely 'Dinchamion' Fazekas wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm using Debian Testing, and my laptop is set up with a dual-boot
> system using WinXP and Debian. The hard drive is divided almost
> half-and-half, but since I no longer use Windows (it has been weeks
> since I booted into it) I'd like to delete it and utilise the whole hdd
> for Debian. However, it's on an encrypted LVM - is it possible to just
> boot into a gparted rescue cd, delete the partition... and then what?

To get rid of the Windows partition there should be no issues with
deleting, but assumed Debian does use LVM, than you can't use gparted to
add free space to the existing LVM. To do that you need some commands,
but the drawback would be, that your Debian and data is spread in an
unclear style all over your drive, if you add a foo (have forgotten the
term of the LVM thingy ;).

IIUC the Windows does use LVM, however, if you add free space to the
beginning of an existing "normal" partition for Debian, with /boot on
it, you might not be able to boot Debian any more, resp. you have to fix
it, or you simply use the free space to add a new partition and mount
it.