Re: etymology of tl;dr (was ... Re: How recover from aborted dist-upgrade ... (due to apt-listbug bug 585448))

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:17:42 -0700
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> Language continuously evolves.  The spoken language of Shakespeare is
> almost impossible for me to understand when listened to with my ears.
> And I am sure the reverse would be too.  "Cool" never goes out of
> style.  "Nice" is pretty stable.  But "rad", "sweet", "sick", "wicked"

As someone else in this thread alluded (Lisi?), 'nice' has actually
undergone a considerable evolution. Dictionary.com gives these five
definitions [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nice]:

1. pleasing; agreeable; delightful: a nice visit.

2. amiably pleasant; kind: They are always nice to strangers.

3. characterized by, showing, or requiring great accuracy, precision,
skill, tact, care, or delicacy: nice workmanship; a nice shot; a nice
handling of a crisis.

4. showing or indicating very small differences; minutely accurate, as
instruments: a job that requires nice measurements.

5. minute, fine, or subtle: a nice distinction.

The first two describe common contemporary usage, while the term used
to be used mostly (exclusively) in the sense of the last two (the third
seems a sort of hybrid between them).

> only time will tell if they make it long term.

Celejar