Re: Preseeding - keyboard-configuration issue

On Tue 18 Dec 2012 at 17:22:34 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The preseed file needn't be on the network, Being present in an ISO and
> > with url= pointing to it is sufficient. Or it could be on a USB stick.
>
> Ah, yes, I had forgotten about the file url syntax.  But present in
> the iso then doesn't *need* the url= to point to it as long as it is
> named "preseed.cfg" it will be automatically used.  All of the
> preseeds will be merged together in the end.

I wasn't fully aware of that. Something else for me to try.

> > > I think it is fine without.  Now that I understand auto better I think
> > > it is fine to have it without a url preseed.  But a url preseed is so
> > > convenient that I pretty much always want it.
> >
> > Ever tried the installer's auto install option? Or seen the result of
> > booting with only auto=true added to the coomand line.
>
> Short answer, no.  Longer answer, just now tried it.
>
> It asked for the language.  It ask for the locale.  It dhcp'd an
> address.  It then pulled my network preseed file as specified by my
> dhcp server with the "filename" parameter.  It never asked for the
> keyboard.
>
> I reconfigured my dhcp server not to send the preseed filename
> option then tried it again.  It asked for the language.  It asked for
> the locale.  It dhcp'd an address.  Then it stopped and asked me
> the "Download debconf preconfiguration file" question.  There is a
> full page of information that I won't recreate here.  It allows entry
> of the preseed file on the fly.  But it accepts an empty field, select
> "continue" and keep going without it.  In which case it proceeds as if
> I had not done an automated installation.  I may be confused but I
> don't believe it asked me the keyboard question.

That is what I meant by "uppity". Perhaps not the most precise of terms,
but it was intended to express the idea that the Automated install from
the d-i splash screen is of maximum benefit only when a preseed url is
supplied on the command line.

The keyboard question is not asked because the install is being done at
priority=critical. The installer will sort out a keyboard layout based
on the chosen language. which can be seen  with a search for
kbd-chooser in /var/log/syslog. The question will be asked when the
priority is set to high.

[Testing procedure snipped]

> Then another few tests with and without priority=critical.  Without
> priority=critical I was asked the language and locale questions.  With
> it I was not.  After several more tests I have concluded that "auto"
> is not the same as "auto=true".
>
>   auto is-not-equal auto=true
>
> If I have "auto" then it asks the question before the network is up
> and before the network preseed.  If I have "auto=true" then it dhcp's
> an address, pulls the network preseed and because I have the preseeds
> for locale and keyboard listed there the installer never asks me the
> question.
>
> Meaning that _either_ auto=true is needed _or_
> "console-keymaps-at/keymap=us locale=en_US" (or "keymap=us
> locale=en_US" for Wheezy) is needed on the command line.  I had them
> on the command line and so it was working okay for me.

I agree with the data in your detailed account and with the conclusions.
Basically, everything works as one might expect when done correctly. It
is figuring out to expect and how to do it which is the issue.

> I believe this confirms what you have been saying that there is
> something special about the combinations.  Plus the documentation at:
>
>   http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs02.html.en#preseed-auto
>
> where it is talking about "auto url=..." is definitely incorrect.

Taking this and your other mail into account is persuading me back to
readopting my original view on the matter. We could sound out what one
of the maintainers thinks. There is a thread starting at

   http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2012/12/msg00263.html

I will add to it within an hour or so.