Re: Preseeding - keyboard-configuration issue

On Tue 18 Dec 2012 at 15:13:52 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > Here is what I focussed on when I started looking at the
> > auto-install process:
> >
> >     > The auto parameter is an alias for auto-install/enable and
> >     > setting it to true delays the locale and keyboard questions
> >     > until after there has been a chance to preseed them, . . .
>
> I think that is the critical point concerning "auto".  It simply
> delays the asking of the question until later, after the network is
> up, after a network preseed might be available to preseed it.  Except
> I am not convinced that it actually works.  I recall previously (might
> have been a bug that is fixed now) that I could not get the question
> preseeded unless I put it in the initrd or on the command line.
> Again, this might behave differently now.

The preseed file needn't be on the network, Being present in an ISO and
with url= pointing to it is sufficient. Or it could be on a USB stick.

> > The correct way to supply a preseed file with auto=true is (I think) to
> > only use preseed/url= or url=. Now, is that glaringly obvious to you or
> > anyone else from section B.2.3. or elsewhere in the Manual?
>
> The manual is a little vague.  But that is what they show in the
> examples.

Not glaringly obvious, then. :)

> > I've never looked at initrd preseeding and wonder what happens when
> > auto=true is used with it.
>
> Nothing exciting.  It is basically a noop for me.  I tested it and I
> can either leave it there or remove it.  As we have determined it is
> only an indication that the installation is being attempted
> automatically in batch mode so delay the asking of the keyboard
> question until after a preseed has had an opportunity to ask it.  But
> since in my case I am putting it on the command line it doesn't matter
> for my particular case.  It might matter in other cases.

Thanks. This is something to go on if and when I have a go.

> > My provisional understanding is that d-i gets uppity if url= is not
> > given alongside auto=true.
>
> I think it is fine without.  Now that I understand auto better I think
> it is fine to have it without a url preseed.  But a url preseed is so
> convenient that I pretty much always want it.

Ever tried the installer's auto install option? Or seen the result of
booting with only auto=true added to the coomand line.

> > I think "auto" is a typo. It should be "auto=true".
>
> It is documented that "auto" is an alias for "auto-install/enable=true
> priority=critical".  I don't think it is a typo.

At

   http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apbs02.html.en#preseed-auto

the Guide says

   The auto parameter is an alias for auto-install/enable . . .

which is not the same as your statement. It is followed by

   . . .and setting it to true delays the locale and keyboard
        questions . . .

Priority critical has no effect on how auto=true performs.

> > When auto url= is used only preseed/url appears in d-i's
> > /var/lib/preseed/log.
>
> What file?  I don't have that file.  Typo?

Boot any ISO with keymap=, or locale=. or anything else. Then ALT F2
and cat /var/lib/preseed/log.

> > If you move either of your kernel command lines to the preseed file,
> > leaving everything else unchanged, the two questions are asked.
>
> Hmm...

Well. Are they? (I did mean move only the language and keymap options).