Re: which version of debian to download

> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:52:44 +0100
> From: berenger.morel@neutralite.org
> To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: which version of debian to download
>
> Nowadays, all processors I know for computers are built with 64 bits
> architectures, and corresponding instructions sets, which are often
> named amd64, probably for history reasons.
> Another name you could encounter is x86_64, which simply means that the
> processor is of x86 intel family (here, intel is not related to the
> trademark, but to the electronic architecture they made popular) with 64
> bit instruction set.

History lesson:

IIRC, it was AMD  that was the first to market 64  bit chips that were
also compatible  with code  written for the  X86 32  bit architecture.
Which  gave rise  to a  rare occasion  of Intel  playing catch  up and
having to implement a defacto standard created by AMD.

Peter
(\___/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your

Alte Amplius et Sine Ratione
gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/1/users/happy/