Re: Preseeding - keyboard-configuration issue

[I couldn't sort the attributions out when snipping. Sorry.]

On Mon 17 Dec 2012 at 22:24:11 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:

> [...]

Richard wrote this. I didn't understand what he was getting at first
time round.

> > > That does seem like a bug that it would ask it normally but not during
> > > the expert install.  I haven't tried to recreate it yet myself.
>
> I spent some time on it today.  I don't see any bug there.  It seems
> to work as expected.

This is Bob.

> > With a straightforward expert install the keyboard question is asked.
> > Maybe something has been added to the command line.

That was Brian. (Me).

> How are you inserting the preseed data when booting "expert" mode?  I
> can only think of being able to do that one the command line.

Is this question directed at Richard?

> For example I can select the boot option:
>
>   expert console-keymaps-at/keymap=us locale=en_US interface=auto hostname=junk domain=example.com auto url=http://localweb/debian/preseed-all-regular-atomic-kvm.cfg --
>
> Then because it is an expert install it presents the expert install
> menu.  I can then choose to configure the keyboard because that is one
> of the expert installation options.  I think that is separate from
> whether the right question is preseeded or not.  If I do a normal
> installation with:

Now I am very confused. Firstly, is "expert" a command line option? I am
unable to find a reference to it. Secondly, console-keymaps-at/keymap=us
on the command line means the keyboard question is not asked. This is
irrespective of the priority.

>   install console-keymaps-at/keymap=us locale=en_US interface=auto hostname=junk domain=example.com auto url=http://localweb/debian/preseed-all-regular-atomic-kvm.cfg --
>
> Then no questions are asked.
>
> The documentation for "auto" says:
>
>   The auto boot label is not yet defined everywhere.  The same effect
>   may be achieved by simply adding the two parameters auto=true
>   priority=critical to the kernel command line.  The auto parameter is
>   an alias for auto-install/enable and setting it to true delays the
>   locale and keyboard questions until after there has been a chance to
>   preseed them, while priority is an alias for debconf/priority and
>   setting it to critical stops any questions with a lower priority
>   from being asked.
>
> Therefore if it is set on the command line the delay mentioned
> probably does not matter.  It seems like that would only affect things
> when using a remote preseed file.  But I was not able to test this.

The delay in asking the locale and keyboard questions lasts until the
network is up and running.