Re: Gnome3 probe

On 12/14/2012 11:35 AM, phi debian wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The all thing that make me stay away from suse, ubuntu, mint, name it...
> is gnome3. I am an happy camper since linge with debian way of gnome2.
>
> My needs are very basic, i.e remove everything, keep only 1 panel that I
> want vertical on and the right, and have the gnome click tools (gparted,
> system setting, administration)
>
> I hate to an iritating point any wm that knows better than me what is
> good for me, basically, thing that auto maximize, fixed/locked pannels,
> etc, etc... and I hate having to customise things with a huge
> 'registery' like thing, clickin in panel (or drag it) to move it around
> is teh only thing I need.
>
> And what I hate most, it spending hours, days to customise, having an
> update and tada all custmisation are lost and not redone the same way
> (ubuntu does this)
>
> So my question, does next release of debian will be poluted with gnome3,
> are will we have a choice? Even a dangled gnome2 would be good for me.
>
> I need to know to void to press 'yes' on next update.
>
> If you know what next release will lok like I'd like to know
> Thanx in advance
> And merry Chrismas
> Cheers,
> Phi

Hi,

just search in the list, I've seen a couple of discussions already.

to cut the long story short:

Yes,  Gnome3 will be in Wheezy instead of Gnome2.

close alternatives:
Xfce - worth a try,
Mate - the fork of gnome2 - not in Debian, you'll need to install it
from an external repository.

Regards,
Alex