Re: grub-legacy fails with its root on raid1

Please CC me on reply, since I am not subscribed to the list, because my mailbox is quite limited.

Am 05.12.2012 17:01, schrieb Tom H:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Marcus Blumhagen
> <marcus.blumhagen@web.de> wrote:
>> just recently I was faced with a non-booting remote box running
>> Debian 6.0 (Squeeze).
>> [...]
>> Now I think I have found the problem in grub-legacy trying to boot of
>> /dev/md0 which indeed is my boot partition:
>>
>> # Excerpt of grub´s menu.lst
>>
>>    title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
>>    root            (md0) # software raid1 consisting of /dev/sd[ab]1
>>    kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/md1 ro
>>    initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
>>
>> [...]
>
> I've just skimmed through your message and I'll have to reread the
> rest when I have more time to see if I can help but regarding the
> above:
>
> grub-legacy can boot from an mdraid "/boot" and/or "/".
>
> The "root" of "root (md0)" is the device corresponding to "/boot". (I
> wish that it'd been called "grubroot" in both grub1 and grub2. Too
> much navel-gazing going on...)
>
> The "root" of "kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/md1 ro" is the
> device corresponding to "/".
>

> The two "root" are of course the same, expressed differently, if "/"
> and "/boot" are on the same partition.

I meant exactly what you said, sorry I got the terminology mixed up. For the sake of this conversation I will henceforth refer to it as grubroot.

> Since you're using grub-legacy and might be using update-grub and the
> "DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" system, make sure that "groot" in
> "/etc/boot/menu.lst" is set to the right value.

I have neither found /etc/boot/menu.lst on my disk or by "apt-file search /etc/boot/menu.lst", nor did I find any reference by (z)grepping /usr/share/doc recursively. But I have found groot in /boot/grub/menu.lst and changed it accordingly ( (md0) -> (hd0,0) ). Thanks, I totally missed that before, apparently it´s been a while since I last had a closer look into that file. So this should solve my problem, but I am still puzzled as to how that entry got in there in the first place. The system was a preinstalled Debian minimal image of the hoster, including the software raid1 setup. And I cannot remember ever changing anything in menu.lst, except the "default" after Xen failed to boot, as described in my opening message. And that one obviously worked. Maybe I will look into the xen installation again, since that´s when it all started and after removing the xen kernel image the system wouldn´t boot anymore.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, Tom.

Cheers
Marcus