Re: grub-legacy fails with its root on raid1

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Marcus Blumhagen
<marcus.blumhagen@web.de> wrote:
> Am 05.12.2012 17:01, schrieb Tom H:
>>
>> Since you're using grub-legacy and might be using update-grub and the
>> "DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" system, make sure that "groot" in
>> "/etc/boot/menu.lst" is set to the right value.
>
> I have neither found /etc/boot/menu.lst on my disk or by "apt-file search
> /etc/boot/menu.lst", nor did I find any reference by (z)grepping
> /usr/share/doc recursively. But I have found groot in /boot/grub/menu.lst
> and changed it accordingly ( (md0) -> (hd0,0) ). Thanks, I totally missed
> that before, apparently it´s been a while since I last had a closer look
> into that file.
> So this should solve my problem, but I am still puzzled as to how that entry
> got in there in the first place. The system was a preinstalled Debian
> minimal image of the hoster, including the software raid1 setup. And I
> cannot remember ever changing anything in menu.lst, except the "default"
> after Xen failed to boot, as described in my opening message. And that one
> obviously worked. Maybe I will look into the xen installation again, since
> that´s when it all started and after removing the xen kernel image the
> system wouldn´t boot anymore.
>
> Anyway, thanks again for your help, Tom.

You're welcome.

"/etc" was a typo. It was meant to be "/boot/...". Sorry.

Having "groot=(md0)" was definite;y wrong because grub1 doesn't
understand mdraid.

I don't know why it worked before. Maybe your hosting company created
the grub entries manually rather than via update-grub.

(If this is a VM, you won't be able to use either xen or kvm.)