Re: apache2 problem with name based vhost

It has nothing to do with the directory not being owned by root - in fact, directories and files for the webserver should NOT be owned by root (neither should most other files and directories).

It sounds like Apache is loading the default page. Did you add a symlink to the file in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled? Did you add the simlink to the right file? Did you restart Apache?