Re: Kobo or Kindle

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:41 AM, Beco <rcb@beco.cc> wrote:
> Dear fellows,
>
> Regarding the usage experience of those ereaders on the caput, what
> you find more compatible do Debian?
>
> I know both of them don't have software specifically for linux. I also
> know I can read Kindle cloud books using a browser. I don't know for
> Kobo.
>
> Also, to use them as an author, what would be the one I would not need
> windows/mac to use?
>
> I see Kobo has Adobe DRM and to share a book I would need to install
> this software. Adobe page shows me they only offer windows/mac
> software.
>
> And finally, what is the role Calibre would play?
>
> I'm completely new to the ereader experience. I'm buying 2, one for
> me, one for my father. I've never used one before in my life.
>
> I wish to accomplish:
> * Install PDF books, and other formats I already have in my computer HD.
> * Buy a ebook on computer and save it on ereader.
> * Being able to move a book from one to another ereader (remotely).
> * Install a new book remotely when my father asks (he lives in another city).
> * Write and publish some ebooks. (Using Kile? Calibre? Openoffice?)

I have a Kobo and I like it pretty well. One issue I do have is that
browsing through a large collection of books is a real pain. You can
sort by title or author, but that is it, no support for a folder
structure or similar. The Kobo software work well on wine, I think
they are supposed to put out a Linux native version at some point (it
uses QT4). For Kobo you only need to install their software, not
Adobe, though Adobe works ok in Wine as well.

Kobo at least is pretty terrible for PDFs. Slow, badly sized text, no
reflow...Fundamentally PDF is not a good format for ebooks. I don:t
know if the experience is better on a Kindle or similar.

Can't help with the remote stuff. Maybe Kindle's wispernet would be useful?

I find it surprising that people are recommending tablets and
phones... IMHO phone are next to useless for any serious amount of
book reading, they are just too small, and the tablets have the
battery life issue. That is what is great about an ereader, you charge
it like once a week tops.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers