Re: time zone and UTC issue

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 03:55:16PM +0530, J. B wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> My box is configured to the local time zone from beginning, both hwclock and system time.
> But linux always favor hwclock to UTC. What is the advantage of doing that ?
>
> If I need my hwclock to UTC then what should be the right way to do that ?
> I have followed "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" and found it has changed the local time to
> UTC too. Confused .....

The problem is that the hardware clock doesn't store a timezone, so when
it reports the time as 10:32, is that 10:32 in your current time zone,
or 10:32 in a standardized time zone (i.e. UTC) or...

Which you choose doesn't really make much difference, so long as all
OSes that update the hwclock agree on what it's set to. You can agree to
keep it in UTC-5 if you like, even if that's NOT your local time zone,
just so long as you tell your system to apply the correct offset when
reading/writing it.

The main issue comes when you're dual-booting with Windows. By default,
that assumes the hwclock reads local time. If Linux thinks it should be
UTC, then you're going to see odd time jumps as you switch between them.

Hope that clarifies things.