Re: about xfce and window managers

On 26 Nov 2012, John L. Cunningham wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 07:16:09PM +0200, Klearchos-Angelos Gkountras wrote:
> > I am currently using debian sid with xfce 4.8 .
> > I want to make tiling the windows like awesome or kinda like that .
> >

> Have you thought about using Xmonad as the wm?
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_XFCE
>
> I haven't used it in xfce, but I did use it as the wm for Gnome2 and I
> was very pleased.
>
> John

Xmonad is good but for configuration you have to delve into Haskell,
which is quite an undertaking. Dwm is easier to configure (in C, but you
don't really need to know C to change things). I3 and spectrwm both are
configured with plain text files. Of all of them, my current favourite
is spectrwm (especially version 2.1.0, not yet packaged for Debian).

I've got a lot about my experiments with tiling wms on my linux page and
my blog.

AC

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk