Re: Messed up root

Take a live CD with same architecture as your currently machine.
chroot is one solution ... i think you need to do that from knoppix live
cd if the architecture is the same as your machine ; knoppix is i386 so
If your machine is i386 or amd64 with mutiarch will work

boot the live cd

open a terminal as root

create the partiontable on /mnt directory of the live Cd

for instance / partion as /mnt and home partition as /mnt/home and etc.

now mount the devices of your HDD to /mnt/  i.e. for / partion

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/

alright , as we go now ...

chroot /mnt/ /bin/bash

and now is on your debian

and you can change the owner to root ...

chown -hR root /etc