Re: Write protect access on USB port

Yes the above would work in most cases but in the case I am dealing
with, the filesystem is not mounted yet. For example, I plug in a USB
drive.  Before it is mounted, there is a /dev/sd[x] node. I can open
this node and write anything I want, thereby corrupting the filesystem
on that device.

Thanks,
Amit

I see what you mean.
But on my computer, when I do "$cat /dev/sda" I have "cat: sda: Permission non accordée" which mean : access denied.

Only root can access stuff in /dev, so do you want to protect your usb stuff against root? If yes, I can do nothing for you, and I think you'll have to play with kernel.