Re: Write protect access on USB port

Le 26.11.2012 22:28, Amit a écrit :
<berenger.morel <at> neutralite.org> writes:

You can enable read-only on partitions by using the "ro" flag in fstab.

By example:

proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
#Entry for /dev/sda6 :

UUID=85bb1632-546f-460f-8cc7-5b15fd2c046b	/	ext4	noatime,errors=remount-ro	0	1

Here, / will be mounted with read-only if there were errors. I guess
that if you just remove the "errors=" it will be ro everytime.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for block level write protect. That is, nobody can write a simple C program and use the open call and write
garbage to the device.

If a partition is mounted as read-only, I think no software will be able to write on it, because the kernel is responsible of what will happen. Low level open&close functions just call kernel's API, so if the kernel refuse writings, I can not see a solution to write. But I am not a kernel expert, I always prefer the standard C/C++ functions instead of OS's dependent low-level feature.