Re: UserIDs and setups for developers

On November 24, 2012, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Just use your own email address, ghaverla@...
>
> If you want to distinguish various email addresses, create
> multiple (real) email addresses, and use those per-project.
> That could easily get unwieldy though...
>
> Where do you want emails to go? Is your code to be given away/
> made public in some way?
> Presumably by including an email address in your source code,
> you're providing a way for other developers to contact you. In
> which case, to satisfy your intent you need to use a real
> email address.

I am getting close to producing a package (written in Perl) which
is useful to people who do GPS related work, but should be useful
to any kind of surface related work (such as Materials Science and
Engineering, which is my "home").  But, I think this package will
eventually be something like 50 different modules, as probably
something like 10 different families of packages.

The intention is to send this to CPAN, being a Debian person I
suppose I could build it for Debian.  But parts of this package
are of general usefulness.  Which is why it will be families of
modules.

Most people start by doing something simple.  I didn't.  From what
other people have recommended, I should start "publishing" the
bits that work.

I suppose most people who write Perl code, expect bugs and
everything else to go to CPAN.  Over the years, I've had questions
about using various other Perl modules, and so having some other
contact method seems to be needed.  I thought it would be useful
on my end, to have incoming mail related to Perl, to have a UserID
of 'perl' in the destination address.

Maybe this package of mine becomes useful to people.  And perhaps
Debian picks it up.  My hope then would be to use debian@... as
the contact, instead of perl@....

I can see how this can snowball into all kinds of directions.  I
have never produced software which  is useful across many
different applications before, and I am just trying to minimize
problems for me, or for users.

Thanks.

Gord