Re: Can Debian's paranoia be tamed

On Thu, 2012-11-22 at 12:10 -0700, Glenn English wrote:
> A little CLI typing will fix right up that lack of a GUI root login. Sometimes it's necessary. A suggestion, though: when you do manage to get root in a GUI, make the background a bright, solid red to remind yourself of where you are.
>
> But I'm hoping Debian's paranoia will never go away. I use Debian because of what I consider it's (relative) security and reliability. As an admin, I like that the software at least tries to keep me from shooting myself in the foot.
>
> The multi-level releases are a good idea, IMHO. If I want my servers to really work, I can use stable. If I want to check out a little more modern (and possibly buggy) software, I can use one of the others -- with lots of beta testers.
>
> I hope Debian's paranoia is never 'tamed.' As long as there are workarounds like startx and su -, and sudo...

I recommend to read about su and sudo and how to set up or disable such
accounts, with and without password required. Policykit, setuid etc. and
how to set up a DE manually, e.g. how to start the display manager.

After knowing all this, it's easy to log in as root for the desktop
environment, but nobody with this knowledge will do this.

2 Cents,
Ralf