Re: Can Debian's paranoia be tamed

Le 23.11.2012 02:06, Richard Owlett a écrit :
berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
Remove gdm, and put in the file "/root/.bash_profile"
following lines:
===========
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ];then
     startx
fi
===========
To have a auto-login, you can also modify "/etc/inittab" and
replace a "/sbin/getty" by "/bin/sh".
The better with those solutions is the removal of a useless
software.

That is reason I'm learning Debian instead of Ubuntu.
I'm exploring just how many undesired I get with any flavor of Gnome.
I suspect I'm looking more for a display manager than a desktop
environment. I'm beginning to think the line between them can at times
be blurry.

I can understand, I did the same.
IMHO, best WM are tiling one, and in those, I have choosen i3, for it's ease of configuration and the philosophy is not to limit the number of lines of code, just to not add useless features (avoid making a bloatware)

My other advice would like to install debian with as less packagages as possible: aka: disable all task at install time, and add softwares one after one when you need it. Also, keep a file to remember which soft you prefer, because you'll need many experimentation.