Cinnamon on Wheezy

I've installed Cinnamon from sid under wheezy and am having a hard time getting it to work like I would like. I like to have a light-coloured background, no graphics, involved, two panels [top and bottom] with the hot spot being in the top left. But, I can see where the menu is, and I can click on it, but I cant read it because its now white text on a light background. How do I get black text please in the menus? I've looked at the cinnamon-settings gui, but cant find anywhere where I can change the colour of the text in the menu. And its this which is stopping me using it far more. Can anybody help please?

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian Wheezy, xfce 4.8, LibreOffice 3.5.4.2