Re: Wheezy, XFCE: system shutdown

--- On Mon, 11/19/12, Hartwig Atrops <Hartwig.Atrops@arcor.de> wrote:

> From: Hartwig Atrops <Hartwig.Atrops@arcor.de>
> Subject: Re: Wheezy, XFCE: system shutdown
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Monday, November 19, 2012, 3:03 PM
> On Monday 19 November 2012 20:05:15
> Go Linux wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 11/19/12, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
> wrote:
> > > From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
> > > Subject: Re: Wheezy, XFCE: system shutdown
> > > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > > Date: Monday, November 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
> > > * On 2012 19 Nov 12:46 -0600, Hartwig

> installing it did
> > >
> > > not solve the problem.

> *power* or
> > >
> > > similar. What would be the

> > > My user is in the powerdev group.  I get even
> the
> > > Suspend and Hibernate
> > > buttons on this desktop machine even though I
> don't use
> > > them.
> > >
> > > $ cat /etc/group | grep power
> > > powerdev:x:115:username
> >
> > I'm on gnome squeeze right now, am NOT in the powerdev
> group and still have
> > working hibernate suspend.  Will check xfce wheezy
> groups in a bit.
>
> Hmm...
>
> I have a Squeeze / XFCE installation running on a Sun Blade
> 100 (Debian
> Sparc), the buttons are all there and are usable.
>
> Groups:
>
> root@PEKING:~# grep power /etc/group
> powerdev:x:110:
>
> i.e. group exists, but no users in it
>
> Shutdown works anyway.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Hartwig

OK.  Now on refracta wheezy xfce. There isn't even a powerdev group listed and all five shutdown options are present and functioning.

In addition to pm-utils and xfce4-power-manager, I have upower and libupower-glib1 installed.  You might also look at acpi-support.  Though it's not installed here, your hardware might need it.