Re: systemd intermittent startup

On 19.11.2012 16:07, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 11/19/12, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> First, systemd worked.
>>> Now it hangs on bootup, with the following messages:
>>> Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
>>> resolving 'B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 192.33.4.12#53
>
>>> Perhaps it's too early for systemd and its bootup time improvements
>>> (of course, not booting up takes a lot longer :) ??
>>
>> It works fine.
>>
>> You might need to fsck your disk but beyond that you're encountering
>> delays because your NIC's firmware isn't loading so you network's not
>> coming up and named is acting up.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I installed firmware-iwlwifi, now wired _and_ wireless work. Disks are fine.
> Wireless I hardware switched-off.
> Two wired eth networks, one inbuilt, one usb.
> Same hang when I undock (no usb devices, no ethernets, just plain
> laptop). Ie same named/avahi/dhclient 'hang' loop.
>
> Default samba4 install on relatively fresh wheezy install.
>
> So (I'm running only successfully on /sbin/init):
> apt-get purge samba4
> apt-get autoremove
> rm /var/log/syslog # let's get really clean output!
> reboot
> # start with systemd
> # allow to timeout
> # login as root for system maintenance!
> #I'm supposed to be happy at this point and say "yay"
> vi /var/log/syslog
> WFT?!!?! No syslog file.

I guess you have been dropped into the rescue shell.
At this point no system services (including rsyslog) are running.
So this is not surprising that there is no /var/log/syslog.

Anyway, with that little of information it is basically impossible to
say what's going wrong on your system. It even lacks basic information
like what version of Debian you are using, what version of systemd etc.
As for getting a more verbose debug log, there is plenty of
documentation which is easily found by google.
Try
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Systemd_problems
or
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging

You mentioned, that you use some sort of encryption.
Posting more details (fstab, cryptab, etc) might help.
I suspect your problem is related to that.

I'm posting this from a system where systemd works like a bliss.

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?