Re: Is Wheezy going to be more stable than Squeeze?

Hi Russell,

I used Etch for a brief period of time, less than 2 months, and I
disliked it very much. I changed to SuSE for a long time, and I did a
lot of hard work on programming (kdevelop) and editoring (kile).

After KDE4, that I disliked at the time, I tried UBUNTU for a brief
period of time, and moved to GNOME. But I was surprised by the UNITY
when I was trying to like GNOME. I never liked GNOME, and I strongly
dislike UNITY, and now UBUNTU.

So I decided to try Debian, the great, once again. I moved to
Squeeze+KDE4 and I loved it (One of the things that made me nervous
about KDE4 no longer exists: some restriction to add icons to your
desktop). Everything works fine, and it is really very stable. One of
the things I like is how fast a machine boot. Not something you notice
on servers, they are always on. But on desktop, that is a great
advantage. More yet in notebooks. I had Squeeze installed in my Acer
Aspire One. Good system.

When I changed notebooks, and got one that the network didn't work
with Squeeze, this list helped me to move to Wheezy. And I moved not
only my notebook, but 2 more desktops. I'm using Wheezy since august,
and I can tell you it really surprised me with all things working out
of the box! Also, I have no problems with stability already (still
considered unstable), just a little problem (related here) about
disconnecting an external monitor and getting strange behaviour.

Another thing I noticed, is that Wheezy is a lot slower to boot than
Squeeze. I'll some day measure the time just to check (I mean, the
time you press the "enter" key after login/password to the time you
hear the first note of the login theme). Beside that, I recommend you
give it a shot.

My best,
Beco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

--> . <--

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it
everyone you love, everyone you know..." (Carl Sagan, 1934-1996)