Re: Debian hosted mailserver client authentication issue

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 05:30:56AM -0800, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 03:24:12AM -0800, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

[cut]
> > This is Postfix complaining. Have you told it to use dovecot for
> > authentication? For example, I have:
> >   # SASL SMTP Authentication
> >   smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> >   smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
> >   smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
> >   broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
> >   smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
> >   smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
> >   smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
>
> ok i will try the above that you shared but the howto that i am
> following is a bit different from yours. let me try yours.
>
> the config that i got from here
> http://syslog.tv/2011/09/15/postfix-dovecot-imapimaps-sasl-maildir/
>
> home_mailbox = Maildir/
>  smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
>  smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
>  smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
>  broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
>
> smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,
>  permit_mynetworks,

>  permit_sasl_authenticated,
>  reject_unauth_destination,
>  reject_unknown_sender_domain,

Again, you might be better off with the official documentation
(http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html). That states that postfix uses
Cyrus SASL by default. You've not told Postfix to use dovecot's SASL
implementation so it will be talking to Cyrus instead. In other words,
Postfix probably IS doing SASL authentication, but perhaps you haven't
told it what credentials are valid.

> > http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL will walk you
> > through getting postfix to talk to dovecot.
> >

> >> note my dovecat mechanism set to = plain login as mentioned in the howto above
> >
> > Are you able to receive mails correctly with Outlook? If so, you've
> > probably got dovecot working fine. If not, post the output of "doveconf
> > -n" here.
>
> actually, i have two new email accounts that i locally created for
> testing (mail1 and mail2)
>
> however i can not manage to make my outlook talk to smtp of my server.
> i can see the IMAP inbox which was successfull. but i use netcat for
> sending email from console.
> i did this.
>
> netcat myserver
> ehlo myserver
> mail from: mail1@mydomain.com
> rcpt to:mail1@mydomain.com
> (actually i wanted to send email from mail1 to itself)
>  data
>
> all the message
>
> i end email with "."
>
> and quit the netcat app.

Is this done on myserver? If so, it's working because you have
"permit_mynetworks" in your postfix configuration. You'll note that you
never authenticated yourself to postfix so there's no chance of testing
the SASL authentication there.