Re: Configure GRUB 2

On 08/11/2012 13:50, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 12:47:28PM +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 01:40:37PM +0100, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
[cut]

If you don't want to boot the previous kernel, but a specific one
(known to work), cat the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and locate the entry of
the kernel you want as a default. What you want is the part
immediately following the "menuentry" stanza, usually in between
single quotes (you don't need the whole line. Here is and example
grub.cfg menu entry:

menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux, avec Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64 [...]

You would need to put the following entry in /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_DEFAULT='Debian GNU/Linux, avec Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64'

Then execute "update-grub".

I think this is a bad idea outside of a temporary test situation, if
you forget such a hack you'll be booting an old kernel possibly
vulnerable or troublesome as the default one. The config will also
break when this specific kernel version is removed by the package
manager.

A couple of points.

GRUB_DEFAULT takes a menu, not a title.

Bah, I meant it takes a NUMBER, not a title. So your first kernel is 0,
you probably then have the same kernel in emergency mode as 1, the next
kernel as 2 and so on.

Using a Title works in /etc/default/grub for the grub version currently in Wheezy/Sid, it will change with version 2 when the menu entries will be split between default and advanced. Using a menuentry title is also supposed to work with grub-reboot too, but doesn't always in my experience despite the manual saying:

"ENTRY is a number or a menu item title."