Re: Configure GRUB 2

On 08/11/2012 09:23, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
On 08/11/2012 09:01, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Thursday 08 November 2012 05:02:23 Tom H wrote:
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Lisi Reisz<lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
As I understand the GRUB manual, if I want to change the config file,
then i have to edit /etc/default/grub. I want to change the order of
kernels in GRUB, but I can't see any kernels at all in
(See below.) So how do I boot from the earlier kernel?

We need more information.

Are you trying to re-order the kernels of the installation where
grub's installed or the kernels of other installations?

I have upgraded the kernel rather disastrously and want to go back by
to the older kernel. I also want to find out how to do this, since in
it was extremely easy. I then want to compile the older kernel to have
correct, older video drivers; which at present it hasn't, which is the
problem. It has the wrong video drivers, or rather, hasn't got the right

And yes, the two kernels where GRUB is installed. I simply can't see
any menu
there, so how do I alter the menu order? I'll put the /etc./default/grub
file below my signature again.

In /etc/default/grub put :

First kernel (higher version number) is "0", so "1" is the second.

If by "menu" you mean grub2 equivalent of "menu.list" then
"/boot/grub/grub.cfg" is what you are looking for. This file is
recreated every time "update-grub" or "grub-mkconfig" is run (which you
must do after modifying /etc/default/grub
					^^^^grub.d it is, sorry
). Instead of using the
menu.cfg you can create any custom entry you'd like using a
/etc/grub/40_custom . "40" is just a hint here, choose what you want,
but you should find a template with this number in the /etc/grub

directory. All files there are sourced when "update-grub" is run and
used to generate grub.cfg.

Hope it helps.