Re: Checking local mail with Icedove

On Friday 02,November,2012 11:18 AM, John L. Cunningham wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 04:36:13PM -0500, craig@gtek.biz wrote:
>> This may or may not be a dumb question, but I would like to install logcheck on my local machine, and then view the emails it generates using Icedove. I guess I need a POP or IMAP server running, so my question is, which server should I install to access the emails that will be put into a maildir format, and how is it configured to accept connections locally only?
>
> I don't think you need to bother with POP or IMAP. It appears Icedove
> has an account type called "movemail" that you can point to
> /var/spool/mail/<user>.
>
> Personally, I use good old /usr/bin/mail for this purpose.

Hi,

I just add an account via Edit --> Account settings --> Add other
account --> Unix Mailspool (Movemail)

But no mail shows up.

There was nothing in /var/mail which is link to /var/spool/mail

Here is what I did:

/var/spool/mail# ln -sf /home/lina/Maildir/* .

:/var/spool/mail# ls
cur      new      new.sbd  tmp.msf  Trash.msf        Unsent Messages.msf
cur.msf  new.msf  tmp      Trash    Unsent Messages

:/var/spool/mail/new# ls -1 | wc -l
47

There were 47 new emails, but
$ mail
No mail for lina

and in icedove, there is still nothing.

I don't know which parts is wrong here.

In syslog it showed me:

dove fetchmail[3541]: 22 messages (22 seen) for lina@gmail.com at
pop.gmail.com (15228355 octets).

Strangely where are those 22 messages, seems I really mess up something
here.

Thanks ahead for your suggestions,

Best regards,