Re: how to prevent dvd drives from being polled

On 31/10/12 16:13, Dom wrote:
On 31/10/12 15:48, Frank McCormick wrote:
On 31/10/12 10:42 AM, lee wrote:

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 03:25:18AM +0100, lee wrote:

how do I prevent the dvd drives from being polled by udisks-daemon? I
can kill the process and it becomes a zombie, and I'd rather get
rid of

This polling is something I really don't need or want! What else like
this is going on, and how do I disable it?

According to the man page[1], it should be as simple as (!) adding a
property to the device using a udev rule.

Apparently, yes --- but what rule or property is that? And how do I
disable it without rebooting? Udev stuff is a mystery, with
configuration that isn't readable by humans.

Googling the problem turned up this....

Of course you'll have to make changes to match your CD-rom and where to
put the rule is a mystery (to me)...but it should get you started.

I believe the line should go in a new file called something like

I haven't had a chance to test it yet

Ok, that file should have been called

(All rules files must end with .rules)

It looks like the variable gets set for me with

as the rule.

However, I can't confirm that this has disabled polling yet.