Re: please put not all into multiarch!

On 10/21/2012 3:28 PM, Mark Allums wrote:
On 10/21/2012 12:35 PM, Claudius Hubig wrote:
Hello Mark,

Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
What some of you are missing is that the transitional package ia32-libs
in sid is uninstallable unless you allow experimental, because of some
of the dependencies.  It's just not a viable option unless you are a dev
working on those packages.

And why exactly would you want to install ia32-libs on a multi-arch
system? No package from the 32-bit archive (i.e. those working with
multi-arch) will depend on it.

Best,

Claudius

It is already installed.  This is the update.  This is a transitional
package to move from it to the individual packages.  The thing is,
people are complaining about trying to install it.  You need to ask
*them* why they want it.  However, there are still packages that depend
on it.  Therefore, you need it if you have one of those packages.  The
Joker in the deck is that it has screwed up dependencies itself, and it
really should not be in sid.  If your system has a lot of packages
installed, like mine, you have to enable experimental, then install it.

(When I naively install the transitional update, I got about thirty
*:i386 libraries and about a dozen packages from experimental upgraded
or installed.  I am very nervous about it.  I have put a freeze on
installing further updates or new packages except security packages
until after the final release of Wheezy and until progress is made on
cleaning up the mess and so forth.  If this were my only or main
machine, I never would have taken it out of wheezy, and this wouldn't
even be an issue.)

That should read something like, "I got all these i386 packages from sid, plus all these other packages from exp."