Re: mount cdrom?

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Hadi Motamedi <motamedi24@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I found how to install packages from CD, as :
> #apt-get install gcc
> But can you please let me know where can I find the list of available and
> useful programs that I can try to install them from my install CDs ?

I recommend using aptitude for everything. It replaces apt-get and
apt-cache, and has a ncurses TUI (text user interface)

aptitude install gcc
aptitude search chess
aptitude (for TUI)

See the man page for more

Aptitude interactive mode is great for browsing the packages and
picking out what you want to install, and it is by far the best way to
resolve tricky conflicts if you live on the bleeding edge of
unstable+experimental.

Aptitude is the officially recommended tool for command line package
management, replacing apt-get. There used to be technical advantages
to aptitude, and minor incompatibles if using *both* aptitude and
apt-get, but both of those are in the past now.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers