Re: Reason to NOT install from online repositories

On 10/15/2012 10:41 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Recently someone was chided for attempting installation from a CD.
>
> Not all of us have convenient access to a high speed internet connection.
>
> I can have limited access to "high" speed access by carrying one of my
> laptops to the local library. I don't find downloading more than a
> live-CD feasible due to bandwidth limits they set to provide maximum
> usage for maximum number of users.
>
> Even the live-CD doesn't give me a functioning system as it does not
> include a dialer for an analog modem. I solved _*MY*_ problem by
> purchasing the 8 DVD set of install disks.

You must be using a totally free dialup service for daily internet
access.  In many/most US locales dial is as expensive, if not more
expensive, than aDSL or cable, though I'm not familiar with the
providers and plans in Springfield.  You mention "carrying" your laptop
to the local library, not "driving".  Can we assume you're walking to
the library, live  in the city limits, not on a farm or other rural
location outside of Springfield?

How far are you from the MSU campus?  If it's not a prohibitive
distance, it might be worth explaining your situation to someone in the
MSU telecommunications department and see if you can get a guest access
account.  Then stop by every couple of weeks to download your Debian and
other updates, and anything "big" you need, etc.  I'd assume there won't
be any bandwidth limits.

Also, it's possible they might be running a local non-public Debian
mirror in the Engineering or Computer Science departments.  (Many
universities and colleges host private mirrors of popular open source
software repos to conserve bandwidth on their public pipe)  If so you
might get permission to pull directly from such mirrors.

Just some suggestions from a fellow Missourian, though a couple hundred
miles to the North.

--
Stan