Re: Debian Wheezy Hangs

On 10/12/2012 10:38 PM, Johan Grönqvist wrote:
2012-10-13 05:55, Tim D skrev:
I just installed Debian Wheezy on my ThinkPad T430s (SSD, encrypted LVM).

The problem is that the system freezes randomly, so much so that I
cannot use it for more than twenty minutes without it freezing.

If you have a recent CPU/GPU from intel, you might want to search for "ivy bridge linux random freeze" and see if that can describe your problem. Then you might try to install linux 3.5 from experimental.

The 3.5 kernel works much better for me.

Regards

Johan

I have a similar problem, which possibly has a related, though different cause. I am running an OLD box with an Athlon 2800+ and an external graphics card with a GeForce 6200 on an AGP port. I get the same kind of freezes, however. I believe it has frozen a few times when no one was doing anything, but usually the freeze is when someone is actively doing something at the computer. Since the only graphics port that I have is the AGP port, this was the newest card I could find at the time that my motherboard would accept.

I am currently running Squeeze with a 2.6.32 kernel.

Would a newer kernel help, if I could get one? Or will that just be worse (if my problem is old hardware that is not being properly supported anymore.)?

Marc