Re: fglrx driver

On 12.10.2012 23:13, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 09:43:32PM +0400, Roman V.Leon. wrote:
Gents and Ladies :-) please advise.

I have an HP notebook with Ati Radeon 4200 GPU on board and
sometimes i like to play old good windows games with help of "wine"
while my little daughter is sleeping. But recently a real disaster
had happened, ATI dropped a support of Radeon 4xxx cards and after
update i was oblige to install a radeon driver instead of fglrx.
Unfortunately this driver doesn't allow me to play Heroes of MM V. I
tried to return to previous version of fglrx-driver(from
snapshots.debian.org repo), but didn't succeed in it because driver
depends on many packages including Xorg and so forth. I also tried
fglrx-legacy-driver from experimental repository, but it hangs my
system. Could you suggest please what steps i should do to manage my
radeon working as it was before. My debian version is wheezy,
current version of radeon driver which i see in the repo is
1:12-6+point-1.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FYI, I don't see this version at
   http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Did you install the non-free firmware along with the radeon driver? Did
"Heroes of MM V" report any errors or is performance simply lacking?

I have this chip in my Lenovo G555 laptop, purchased in March 2010.
When I first got the laptop, I was running Fedora 13, and I eventually
tried the fglrx driver. The whole thing was a nightmare. It seemed to
break with every kernel update. Trying to manage it outside the normal
package management was not easy. (It didn't help that the maintainer
of fglrx for RPM Fusion was months behind at that time.)
I had the same issues I had even pined a kernel version in /etc/apt/preferences to avoid rebuilding the fglrx-driver, but in the end it didn't save me.

I finally moved to Debian Squeeze using the open-source radeon driver,
and things have been great ever since.

I'm not a gamer, I grant you, but performance of the radeon driver has
been excellent. I'm running Wheezy now, and it's still performing
great.

It is really important because i can't eat, i'm always in a bad
mood, i'm bad with women and i'm suffering from insomnia without my
old good games :-))) Thank you in advance.

If it's that important to you, why not install Windows alongside Linux
and boot into it to play the games?

I second the other comment -- for big-time Windows games, keep a small
Windows installation on your system.

Thank you Steven and Darac, I think you are right, it will be the best I can do in this situation. If be honest of course games are not a real problem for me, but I just can't understand Ati's politics. I can't understand why is free support, I mean those people who make open-source driver, is much better than commercial support, it's beyond me. I beg your pardon for my English.

--
Cheers,
Roman V.Leon.