Re: PulseAudio sound issues

On 11/10/2012 15:21, Alejandro Santos wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Debian "Wheezy" Testing on both my desktop computer and my
Laptop. On the Laptop the sound works fine, but on the desktop I can't
play two or more sounds at the same time, for example while watching a
video on VLC, hitting pause, then opening a video on YouTube.

Other problem is: after watching a video on VLC and closing VLC, I
have to wait 20 seconds to open a new VLC program since otherwise the
sound coming out of the speakers will be garbage.

Hi, on Wheezy/Sid here I use Pulseaudio without problem. VLC is configured to output to pulse (vlc-plugin-pulse installed), works fine here, vlc and flash or anything else. I use KDE, did nothing special to make it work, only timidity gave me trouble but it was easily solved. User belongs to "pulse" group.

Since after killing the PulseAudio daemon with pulseaudio -k the
problems goes away, it is my strong opinion that this is a PulseAudio
issue.

My workaround so far was to remove the execution permissions on
PulseAdio with: chmod a-x /usr/bin/pulseaudio

I have two questions:

1. How can I debug this problem? I'd like to file an appropiate bug on
the corresponding bug tracker.
Make sure the problem really lies with Pulse.
You could start by dumping pulse config with "--dump-conf", change log level (--log-level). Install debug packages.

2. I can't purge the package with "aptitude purge pulseaudio" since
the package "pulseaudio" is a dependency on "gnome-core". After
killing PulseAudio, the sound works fine. I'm a software developer
myself, and I can't help keep asking myself, why is PulseAudio an
strong dependency on Gnome? What advantages does PulseAudio gives me
as a user over good ol' ALSA?

I can play a flash video or listen to the bbc player and watch a video in vlc at the same time. I can throw Amarok into the mix or use at the same time Tuxguitar outputting through timidity and vlc (nice to write tabs from a concert video ;-). I can just click on the kde mixer applet and adjust output volume for each application separately. Record with a lightweight device and stream the sound to another powerful computer over the LAN to process it, and I am not even scratching the surface of what can be done with Pulse. I have been defiant toward anything "pulse" for a long time as it used to screw things up "out of the box" more than often (in KDE in my case). I adopted it not long ago, and I would be sad going back. My only complaint is that it isn't trivial to make it play with jackd, but given the nature of jack and the rarity of this setup it's not surprising.