Re: wi-fi connection and wicd

On Wed 10 Oct 2012 at 17:29:13 +0100, Lisi wrote:

[Some selective snipping done]

> I have a newly installed Debian 6.0.6 on my netbook.  I cannot get wi-fi
> going.  I have checked the wi-fi card itself by booting a Live DVD.  It
> connects fine on Ubuntu 12.04.

Using a Debian Live CD would have been more instructive, I think.

> wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm

Confirms the lack of connectivity.

> lisi@Cronos:~$ lsmod | grep ath5k
> ath5k                 104138  0
> mac80211              123586  1 ath5k
> ath                     6018  1 ath5k
> cfg80211               87645  3 ath5k,mac80211,ath
> led_class               1757  1 ath5k

Looks like all the required kernel modules are there.

> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

No firmware needed according to the Debian wiki. The installer would
have asked for it.

> wicd has been a bit problematic since I installed it.  It took various
> adjustments before it got to this stage.
>
> I have never had a problem of any kind with wicd before, and I have installed
> it frequently.

I'm not familiar with wicd. However, wicd uses wpa_supplicant so we
could see what it can do by itself.

1. Stop the wicd daemon from being run:

        update-rc.d wicd disable

   Do the same with network-manager if it too is in /etc/init.d.
   'enable' to revert back.

2. Comment out everything in /etc/network/interfaces (apart from lo) and
   add:

        allow-hotplug wlan0
        iface wlan0 inet dhcp
              wpa-ssid MyAccessPoint