Re: Partition Scheme for installing Debian Squeeze

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> You will want to be sure you are partitioning the correct drive. Usually
> it is easy to distinguish between them because the drive containing
> Windows will probably have an NTFS filesystem on it. You should also
> double-check what the drive designation for Debian is (sda or sdb) when
> you finalise partitioning.

Hi Brian,

I'm definitely partitioning the correct drive (measure twice cut
once). Thanks for the critical reminder. Surely do not want to
partition the wrong drive. :-)
Drive designation for Debian is sdb.

> At the GRUB install stage you will be told what other operating systems
> have been detected and that GRUB will be installed to the MBR of the
> first hard drive. What it actually means is that GRUB will be installed
> to the MBR of /dev/sda. You will only say yes to this if Debian is on
> /dev/sda.

Ok, thank you for letting me know what to expect during the install.
GRUB will be installed to Debian's drive which is the 2nd drive (sdb).

> Nice planning. There is sufficient room on /. I'd do without the boot
> partition but it does no harm.

I must use the boot partition. I will be dual booting windows and
debian. As a last step, I will change the boot order in BIOS when all
is completed. I will boot to sdb drive which will present me with a
menu as to what OS I would like to boot (windows or Debian).

See this link. It has 2 pages. Please read the end of page 2:
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23/dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7-on-a-computer-with-2-hard-drives/

> For the use you will put the OS to I'd stick to your plan. It has the
> benefit of simplicity and ease of implementation.

Thank you for helping Brian
Wally