Re: OT: man in the middle attack ?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:12:08 +0300
Panayiotis Karabassis <panayk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, sure. I am not sure how this fits with the rest of the gnu/linux
> "ideology", which is about freedom and community. I think the problem
> is exacerbated by the nature of internet communication, where it is
> both easier to be rude, and easier to misunderstand and be offended
> by the tone of another's message. Imho, many of the "rude" people
> would be quite gentle and timid, if you met them in person.

By the nature of Linux, people who use it regularly are accustomed to
using the Net to find solutions to their many problems. There is
therefore a tendency to be a bit terse with someone who asks for help
with a problem but has clearly not made the slightest effort to solve it
himself.

And when a student tries to get others to do his homework...

There's no excuse for real rudeness, but the prospect of being told
rather brusquely that the solution to the problem is the fourth entry
of the first results page of an obvious Google search does encourage a
bit of self-reliance, one of the most important personality traits of
a successful Linux user.

Sadly, there are also some very entrenched opinions about certain
matters, but this is no more common with Linux people than Windows
people, nor indeed than political or religious partisans. There is a
lot less tolerance on the Net for technical or other bigotry than there
used to be.

And finally, there are a few people who are just plain prickly... but
one of the most important of all freedoms is the freedom to offend.
Once that is outlawed, censorship becomes trivial to implement.

--
Joe