Re: dynamic IP assignment on servers = brain damage

Tom H wrote:
On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
This thread reinforces what experienced server admins round the world
have known forever:

DO NOT USE dynamic network address assignment on servers.

The problem in this thread is but one of many that can/will result from
using dynamic IP assignment with servers.  If the OP had mentioned his
use of dynamic IP up front he would have saved himself, and the rest of
us, much time.
I've had to deal with VPS instances using what I call (in between my
ears!) semi-static ip settings: static but dynamically-assigned ip
addresses. The box gets an ip address via dhcp but it's always the
same, (I assume) based on the NIC's MAC address.

Which also comes up if one is net booting - the server has to pick up its IP address from the boot server, based on its MAC address.