Re: dynamic IP assignment on servers = brain damage

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> This thread reinforces what experienced server admins round the world
> have known forever:
>
> DO NOT USE dynamic network address assignment on servers.
>
> The problem in this thread is but one of many that can/will result from
> using dynamic IP assignment with servers.  If the OP had mentioned his
> use of dynamic IP up front he would have saved himself, and the rest of
> us, much time.

I've had to deal with VPS instances using what I call (in between my
ears!) semi-static ip settings: static but dynamically-assigned ip
addresses. The box gets an ip address via dhcp but it's always the
same, (I assume) based on the NIC's MAC address.