Re: apache2's handling of IP version 6

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 10/4/2012 12:06 PM, Tom H wrote:

>>> His log error does seem to indicate Apache is starting before the ipv6
>>> stack is available--one of the downsides of parallel init.
>>
>> Where did you see the log?
>
> The OP pasted this in his 2nd post:
>
> Starting web server: apache2[Thu Oct 04 01:02:03 2012]: [crit] (EAI
> 9)Address family for hostname not supported: Alloc_listener: failed to
> set up sockaddr for pppp:qqqq:....:rrrr
> Syntax error on line 2 of /etc/apache2/ports.conf
> Listen setup failed.
> Action 'start' failed.
> The Apache error log may have more information.
> failed!

Thanks. I'd checked the archive before emailing you and missed it -
for the second time!

> I think Chris Bannister is onto something. I previously overlooked the
> syntax error msg. A syntax error would explain the socket setup
> failure. Probably something as simple as a typo in ports.conf.

I don't understand why there's a syntax error at boot but not when
apache's restarted but we'll see...

As I pointed out in an earlier post, "Listen 80" will enable both ipv4
and ipv6, and remove the possibility that there's a typo in the ip
address(es). Since Debian (and all distributions that I know) compile
apache with an option to map v4 to v6, running "ss -ntl" will show
just one ipv6 socket.

Maybe having both "Listen *:80" and "Listen [::]:80" will create two
sockets, if that's what the OP's after (or one of the things that he's
after). I can't check because I don't have ipv6 and I'm not sure that
apache'll interact the same way with an ipv6 link-local address as it
would with a "real" ipv6 address.